Friday, January 14, 2011

Low Carb Swedish Meatballs


Okay, first, don't shoot me. I know people are waiting on the dumpling recipe. Here's the problem, I don't have any chicken. None. We tried to stop at Costco and they had the nerve to close for New Year's Day and we haven't been back (it's a bit of a trip). The local grocery store sells chicken I wouldn't feed to my dogs--frozen, refrozen and then sold at top dollar to unsuspecting consumers.

So. No dumplings. Yet.

But a Costco run is in the cards for later this week.

Sorry for the delay.

In the meantime, I'm cooking from my freezer stash and came up with a low carb Swedish Meatball that is so good, I hope you will be tempted to forgive me on the dumpling delay.

INGREDIENTS Serves 6

  • 1 package ground turkey (around 1.5-2 lbs)
  • 2 onions finely diced
  • 2 tbsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp black pepper
  • 1 egg
  • 2 cans chicken stock
  • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1/4 cup flour (or use thicknthin low carb thickener)
  • Olive oil
  • 2 tbsps. butter (optional)
INSTRUCTIONS

1.Cover bottom of frying pan with thin layer of olive oil, add in butter and let heat on medium heat. Preheat oven to 350F.

2.Moving fast, because the oil is heating, mix 1 onion, the egg, the spices and the meat. (If you don't like playing Beat the Clock when cooking, just mix up the meat first.)

3.Form meatballs and drop into pan.

4.Fry until brown on all sides. The meatballs are delicate so be gentle when turning them. A few will probably fall apart but that's okay.

5.Remove meatballs from pan and place in casserole dish.

6.Add the remaining onion and chicken stock to the frying pan. Scrape brown bits off bottom of pan.

7.Add in cream followed by flour and whisk rapidly to avoid lumps.

8.Pour gravy over meatballs.

9.Bake for 30 minutes.

Serve as is or over a low carb pasta or mashed cauliflower.

1 comment:

  1. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete