Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Low Carb Breakfast Ideas

Every New Year has people resolving to lose weight and many try a low carb diet, but have no idea what to eat.

Breakfast seems to be an especially challenging meal for many new low carbers. Particularly those that don't care for eggs.

I don't like eggs either, although I do eat them and even enjoy them at times. So I am a good person to ask "what should I eat for breakfast, if I don't like eggs?"

Here are some ideas.

1.Full fat cottage cheese. Just watch the amount as you don't want to over indulge. A serving is 1/2 cup.

2.Almond flour flax muffins. I make both a low carb chocolate muffin and low carb pumpkin cranberry muffin that even people who aren't low carbing love. These are not induction legal, but if you are really struggling with what to eat for breakfast and really hate eggs, they are a good option.

These muffins are also a good introduction to gluten free low carb baking and keep in the fridge for more than a week, making them a great on-the-go breakfast option.

3.Bacon Pepper Poppers. These could easily be assembled the night before and popped into the oven right before your morning shower.

4.Slice of cheese. Not usually enough calories, but fast and easy which is sometimes all you have time for

5.Bacon and sausage. Yes they are processed meats and salty, but still a good choice for breakfast. Now, if you eat them day in and day out all year long, that could be a problem, but once or twice a week is not bad. Also another food you can toss in the oven right before your shower. And easy to eat on the go.

Oh, speaking of processed meats, sometimes I buy a European salami (I'm lucky to live in a area with lots of European food stores) and just eat that in the morning with some cheese.

6.Leftovers or regular meals. This is the main piece of breakfast advice veteran low carbers give to newbies, however, I know I am picky in the morning. The last thing I want is roast beef, but this suggestion may work for you. There are few meals I like to eat in the morning for breakfast, chicken piccata for example always sounds like a good idea to my stomach at 6am.

Keep in mind not everything listed here is allowed on induction for most low carb diets. However, I have always played fast and loose with what was allowed for breakfast and never had a problem losing weight. Unless you have serious insulin resistance (and mine is pretty bad) I think you'll be okay. So if you are a picky morning eater like me, these ideas may help keep you on plan.

By the way, if you are not a picky eater, you should probably be eating eggs. (Try them hardboiled with a bit of butter on top. I set the water to boil while I get ready in the morning.)

No comments:

Post a Comment