Friday, March 5, 2010

Low Carb Meatballs

This is how I make low carb meatballs. I eat it like a soup and it's very tasty. Also, it's a slow cooker recipe so you can 'fix it and forget it.'

The slow cooker is important because it carmelizes simple marinara sauce and gives it a wonderful flavor.

Ingredients
1 to 1.5 lbs ground turkey or other ground meat
1 egg
1 diced onion
Minced garlic or garlic powder
Dash of red pepper flakes (optional)
1/2 to 3/4 cup parmesan cheese (this is your binding agent and replaces bread crumbs)
2 16-20 oz jars of marinara sauce (I like Newmans)

Instructions:

-Mix the meat, egg, onion, garlic and parmesan cheese together until ingredients are well incorporated.

-Pour 1 jar of sauce in bottom of the crock pot.

-Gently form ping-pong or golf ball sized meatballs and place in slow cooker. Be sure each meatball has its own space, don't stack them. I can usually fit 12-13 in my slow cooker.

-Top with the second jar of spaghetti sauce.

-Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours.

I serve it like a soup. 2 meatballs per serving with a healthy dollop of sauce and topped with some mozzarella cheese. It's really yummy; a thick hearty tomato soup and spaghetti-style low carb meatballs.

This is a good freezer recipe too.

Note: Pasta sauces can be a bit carby--read labels carefully. I don't sweat a small amount of sugar in sauces, but that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment